Thursday, December 24, 2009

Character Origin: Kat Perez

This character was originally the Punisher. I wrote a script for film school back in 2004 after having this idea since probably 2002. I'll provide some pics of the production as soon as I can scrounge some up. I've got a ton of footage sitting on 6 DVC-Pro tapes in one of my dresser drawers. The film was never finished because production fell apart in the end. My Punisher didn't show up to shoots or my cameraman wouldn't show up.

When my editor, Joannie, got me to blow the dust off this story and try to make it into a viable comic book, I knew that I couldn't use the Punisher if I was sending this story to other publishers besides Marvel. And so the editing began. I wanted to create a female lead that could be taken serious. The average female comic character has huge boobs and she'll kick the guys ass, but with her impractical thong hanging out the whole time. My comic has nudity and sex, yes. But my lead character is a strong female who doesn't take shit from anyone. She doesn't expect to be respected while pushing her chest out.

I had a few one liners from the Punisher and a back story going on the whole time. I wanted to keep some of the sarcasm, but darken up the tone. I had to introduce the audience to a brand new character. With the Punisher, everyone knows who he is and I wouldn't have to touch on that. But this one is like the origin story.

My model is actually my room mate. She's a beautiful woman who can look comical when I'd need her to, and look utterly determined in the next shot. As you'll see with her and my model for Ertzbet, I really lucked out.

I've made HUGE revisions to this story to the point that it only kept some of the main ideas of the original. I'm very proud of my story and very proud of my lead- Kat Perez. I hope you like her, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment